View Single Post
Old 27-06-2002, 03:02 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 110 / Power: 23
newcomerjkt deserves two Tigers! - He's a Great Guynewcomerjkt deserves two Tigers! - He's a Great Guy
My contribution

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainman
Sorry... newbie here.

My brother booked a resort in Shanghai for a week in mid Aug and we will be there with our families.

So as u can imagine... wife around so no bring back.

Would very much appreciate if bro here could provide some guideline as to places where it is safe and EAT-in at a reasonable price with good service.

Please also adv whether any good places for the kids - age about 7 so that wife could bring them there while we the man check out other places of interest.

Appreciate your HELP.

Cheers

Rainman,
Since your post helped me a lot in Jakarta, it's now my turn. I lived in Shanghai for several year, so I know the place very well.

1) For restaurant, I recommend you "Xintiandi" (or New Heaven), normally all taxi drivers know about it. It's on the street Taicang Lu / Madang lu. The place is nice for family promenade, and there are every kind of restaurant: Hongkonese, Shanghainese, Brazilian, European, French... It's also a good place to have a drink with friends, since there are disco, bar... It has been built one year and half ago, and the whole location is like the interior of a big castle. Your family and you should not miss it!
Also Hengshan Lu is nice, with many restaurant and bar there, but I still prefer Xintiandi.

2) Places to visit with family:
- the Bund (or called Waitan)
- Yuyuan garden

3) To have drink with friends while looking at chicks, I recommend you California (or also called Park97), it's inside the Fuxing Park (Fuxing Gong uen). Just for your information, there is 2 entrance in Fuxing park. So tell the taxi driver to enter from the back, from the street Gao Lan lu. Sometimes, they don't know about it, so they might take you from the front entrance, and you'll have to walk a bit (5 minutes). This bar/disco is from HongKong, very trendy and kind of high class. So chicks are also high class!
You also have karaoke on the second floor!

3) Adulf stuff: you can go to Xian Xia lu/ Suicheng Lu, arriving there, just follow the lights. There are plenty of KTV there, and I recommend you Stardust where hostess are gorgeous. But you cannot bring back.

Whenever I had visitors, I always took them at these place, and they have never been disappointed.

As for the best time to go to Shanghai:
- July/August: Very hot and humid!

I think the best time is September/October when the weather starts to cool down.

Hope this help you.
Cheers.