Thread: Divorce Fee
View Single Post
Old 24-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 514 / Power: 20
5ag1_Boar is a glorious beacon of light5ag1_Boar is a glorious beacon of light5ag1_Boar is a glorious beacon of light5ag1_Boar is a glorious beacon of light5ag1_Boar is a glorious beacon of light5ag1_Boar is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Divorce Fee

Depends. Lawyers charge by the number of hours they spend in court for your case, how many documents/letters they have to produce for you, how many meetings/negotiations they attend for/with you etc.

Baseline 2K +/- a few hundred is about there for a really bare minimum case.

If you can, discuss and agree with your ex-wife-to-be the terms of divorce without the lawyers involvement. E.g.:
- The maintenance that you will pay her.
- If have children, the maintenance you will pay, who has care and control,and whether joint or sole custody.
- How assets will be split.

You can ask your lawyer, what needs to be discussed and agreed on, then have a private discussion with your ex-to-be, no lawyers present. Bring the agreements back to each of your lawyers and let them know. They will then do the necessary paperwork and court appearances to finalise the case.

You should also ask your lawyer what is reasonable, so you can negotiate accordingly.

All this is of course is provided that both of you can do this without major conflict.

Possible other costs: your ex-to-be's legal and related fees.
I am not and I don't pretend to be an angel or a guru. I am also dealing with my own flaws, weaknesses and problems. If I share my experiences, thoughts and opinions, it is only in the hope that other Samsters might find some gems in them to help themselves.