View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1222 / Power: 20
joew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud of
Re: Fabio Capello's appointment as England manager

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...d-boss?cc=4716

Hodgson unveiled as England boss
May 1, 2012

The FA has confirmed Roy Hodgson as England's new manager on a 4-year contract.

Hodgson, 64, has been in talks with the FA since Monday aft West Brom granted their coach permission 2 hold discussions over the England position.

The 4mer Liverpool boss emerged as the FA's sole target 4 the position on Sunday, with Hodgson previously open abt his willingness 2 manage his country should the opportunity arise.

Tottenham's Harry Redknapp had been considered the fav 4 the role, but the FA targeted Hodgson due 2 his international experience, as he has overseen positions with Finland, Switzerland & UAE.

Stuart Pearce had been in caretaker charge of the country following Fabio Capello's departure in February, with the Under-21 coach taking the reins 4 England's 3-2 friendly loss against Netherlands in March.

Hodgson will now begin his preparations 4 England's Euro 2012 campaign - where they face Ukraine, Sweden & France in Group D - ahead of friendly matches versus Norway & Belgium.

He will remain in charge of West Brom 4 their final 2 Premier League matches of the season, against Bolton & Arsenal, b4 being released fr his contract @ the Hawthorns.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...acking?cc=4716

Hodgson calls for fans' backing
May 1, 2012

New England manager Roy Hodgson has called 4 supporters 2 back the national side.

Hodgson was, as expected, confirmed as Fabio Capello's successor on a 4-year contract but there has already been much speculation as 2 why bookies' fav Harry Redknapp was not approached.

The Tottenham boss was widely perceived 2 be the popular choice 4 the position, but the FA hv confirmed Hodgson was their 1st & only choice.

''It is a very proud day 4 me, I'm a very happy man 2 be offered the chance 2 manage my country,'' he said. ''I'm looking forward 2 the task ahead. Every1 knows it is not an easy 1 but I'm hoping tat every1, fans & supporters will get behind the team.

''It's the team tat counts, they go out & win football matches. What I'll do is try 2 make sure the team is well prepared 4 the challenge ahead. I'm really looking 4ward 2 it.''

Hodgson acknowledged he did not hv much time 2 settle in2 the job b4 Euro 2012 but said: ''It's going 2 be difficult of course but hopefully I've got time. Obviously I've been working here 4 the last 5 years so the players r pretty well known 2 me even though I haven't worked with them all.

''I've done as much research & spoken 2 as many people as I can.''

Hodgson preferred not 2 answer questions abt picking John Terry & Rio Ferdinand in his squad, or the possibility of selecting Steven Gerrard as captain, but was forthcoming abt the prospect of Wayne Rooney going 2 Ukraine & Poland.

Rooney is suspended 4 England's opening 2 games, but Hodgson appeared 2 put 2 bed any debate abt whether the ManU striker would be part of the final squad or not.

''I'm looking 4ward 2 Wayne Rooney coming 2 the Euros with us & making a contribution even though he cannot play the 1st 2 games,'' he said.

Asked abt England's prospects @ the Euros, Hodgson added: ''England always hv 2 go in tournaments 2 win them becos we r a major football nation. I certainly think the players would be very disappointed if we expected anything less of them than 2 win the tournament.''