PDA

View Full Version : FREE I.T. advices! Surfing internet, irc chatting.

Ethanas
17-02-2005, 08:13 AM
I've seen many people asking for some help what-so-ever on IT problems.

Therefore I'm setting this thread up to answer some basic FAQs on some questions regarding surfing of internet, protections and answer other questions bro will ask.

FAQ v1

Protections (firewall, anti virus and such)

Antivirus: common ones McAfee, Norton, Trend. Most anti virus are pretty robust and includes real time protections.
However if you are badly infected and certain virus actually prevent your antivirus from working (ie shutting it down) you have to do a drastic recovery. If you have Windows XP, and you have set the OS to set recovery points once every week/mth, you can probably save some serious pain in reinstalling. Just set your windows back to the recovery point that is b4 you encounter the problem and then run the anti virus you should be fine.

Firewall: FOR THE PARANOID. I'm assuming here that most of you bros are using PC in a mostly home environment. If it is so, you basically do not need a personal firewall. If bros wanna feel safer then turn on your WinXP SP2 firewall. Common FREE ones Zone Alarm, Tiny, WinXP SP2 inbuild. Basically a firewall will close most common ports until they are in need. However personal firewall will NEVER be able to block most persistant hackers. Some IT security people will suggest to use firewall for defense of ID theft. BUT personally I believe having a spy ware scanner will be a better options.

Spyware/adware Scanner/remover: Basically spyware is the up and comming menace after virus. they are tools for ID theft. Most record your online habit, malicious one records your keystrokes. Most are installed onto your pc by "drive by" install through microsoft's window loophole in ActiveX and Java scripts. Spyware scanner will actually detect this if you runs them weekly. Recommented Spyware scanner: Spybot S & D.

Thats all for now bros. will add more in the future. Hope this short FAQ will help bros and make surfing sites like Sammyboy more enjoyable.

Question please.

nuclearkid
17-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Just to share with fellow forumers, AVG provides pretty decent free antivirus protection with regular updates. Here it is:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

cereal-killer
17-02-2005, 06:10 PM
you can try AntiVir as well , works well for me and it is always updated.

in some sites when i am surfing, i get warning of trojan but in my office's computer using "other reputable" titles, it tells me NOTHING.

so, Antivir is the way to go for me

www.free-av.com

Best Part is, ITS FREE ;)

rahl
17-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Good work bro.

However I wont say firewall is only for the paranoid. With all the viruses and backdoor trojans going around, firewall is the first line of defense.

And those downloading from p2p, firewall is a defense against snoopers from riaa, the movie industry.

But right, spyware is irritating and potentially harmful. Add some other *free* spyware detectors here:

Lavasoft Adware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
CWShredder

hokkienguy
17-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Good work bro.

However I wont say firewall is only for the paranoid. With all the viruses and backdoor trojans going around, firewall is the first line of defense.

And those downloading from p2p, firewall is a defense against snoopers from riaa, the movie industry.

But right, spyware is irritating and potentially harmful. Add some other *free* spyware detectors here:

Lavasoft Adware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
CWShredder
Spybot Search and Destroy not bad too me using Spybot and Microsoft anti spy

Randi_Candi
17-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Brudda Ethanas........got a toughie for u
Perhaps u could advise some of the bruddas here who are not able to log-in to SBF or use MSN/Yahoo IMs to try to reduce idle banter and .......
Some of the bruddas had the main SBF address banned by their IT experts and uses a link to gain entry......how about any other ways?

Ethanas
18-02-2005, 08:24 AM
...Some of the bruddas had the main SBF address banned by their IT experts and uses a link to gain entry......how about any other ways?

ok I will try to answer this one.

Some company controls their employee's usage of the internet. Thus a standing access lists on their company firewall allows only a few addresses to be accessed. If this is the case, which seems likely, then there is nothing you can do unless the IT admin actually allows the address url. Therefore convince the IT admin or psycho them to join this forum to enjoy the wonderful world of SBF maybe then they will allow it.

Another possible reason for this is blockage is, the company detected some ppl actually surf the webpage, and find it takes up too much of the bro's time thus affects productivity and just block the forum's url directly. To solve this.. have someone do shell to another external server and use the shell to access the webpage. how to do this? hehe too long to explain lah, pm me if you need infos.

Disclaimer: all this will probably violates your company security policies, if you value your jobs, then I suggest don't do it. Surf from home when u got time.

Randi_Candi
18-02-2005, 09:21 AM
ok I will try to answer this one.

Another possible reason for this is blockage is, the company detected some ppl actually surf the webpage, and find it takes up too much of the bro's time thus affects productivity and just block the forum's url directly. To solve this.. have someone do shell to another external server and use the shell to access the webpage. how to do this? hehe too long to explain lah, pm me if you need infos.

Disclaimer: all this will probably violates your company security policies, if you value your jobs, then I suggest don't do it. Surf from home when u got time.
Haha......thx for the goot reply.......
I thk alot of people wun try it cos the ricebowl is 2 precious

Alternatively I used to have my own dialup and nowadays most of the pcs cum with integrated modem.
So just hook on the modem and dial directly thru......then I guess u would not be going thru the company's firewall??

seacher
18-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Perhaps u could advise some of the bruddas here who are not able to log-in to SBF or use MSN/Yahoo IMs to try to reduce idle banter and .......
Some of the bruddas had the main SBF address banned by their IT experts and uses a link to gain entry......how about any other ways?

use firefox and get the extention of virtual browser to get into sb
:) think it will work

Ethanas
18-02-2005, 10:30 PM
use firefox and get the extention of virtual browser to get into sb
:) think it will work

Nah, if firewall's core access list blocked all sites, i.e deny any host any destination on port 80 and accept only listed destinations on the same port. Any traffic to sites other than listed will be blocked.

there are of coz ways to go around it, troublesome though.

..So just hook on the modem and dial directly thru......then I guess u would not be going thru the company's firewall??

yeah this will work.

CaptainPlanet
18-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Im currently using Ad Aware that has got Ad-Watch..
But it seems to be interfering wif my norton..
I personally dun prefer SpyBot
So any better alternatives??

rahl
18-02-2005, 10:45 PM

Dont run Ad-Watch, bro. I find it interferes with surfing.

I suggest you keep Spybot - there are commercial software around, but I have heard some will *introduce* spyware into your system so as to have a higher rate of detection.

Can try Spyware Blaster or Browser Hijack Blaster - both are spyware blockers that can run in place of Ad-watch.

Ethanas
18-02-2005, 10:45 PM

Ad Aware doesn't work very well, yes it detects spyware, but it doesn't do a good job cleaning.

Try Spyguard or spyware blaster if you want to. Personally I find Spybot pretty good and though not total it does a pretty good job on registry protection too.

Since I'm pretty verse on OS and registry editing those that spybot points to me and it can't clean I can manually delete them from registry myself. But if you are not too good at it, dun mess with your system registry. Screw ups means reinstall hor, unless you are using XP then screw up means u have to restore to last save point.

One thing to note about norton, I'm assuming u are using Norton Antivirus? Becareful then, Norton goes into a fit when you run other apps that crash with it. which is pretty much lots of other security softwares. hahaha. Which is why my home PCs all 8 of them are using McAfee.

tittyhawk
18-02-2005, 11:14 PM

Maybe I will use my IT experiences to answer your queries...

If a website is banned, that means the network admin has block that particluar address from access. The internet address is determined by DNS and follow by subnet submasks (in its most simple and generalize definition)...If the administrators are hardcore guys, they would banned the entire sub-addresses. If they banned the DNS, you still able to access provided you know how to bypass your own network filtering scripts. The network scripts are a set of command lines, usually in UNIX or Lynix, which controls your workstation's access, both local and outward bound routes.

Just my thoughts.... :)

Ethanas
18-02-2005, 11:19 PM

Mai liddat leh, give away our trade secret. hehe

tittyhawk
18-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Mai liddat leh, give away our trade secret. hehe

Lolzz....tat was just a very generalized solution....of course there r more to it mah....keke.... :)

maikieru
18-02-2005, 11:39 PM

Just my thoughts....

Thought its Linux? :confused:
With the query on messaging clients.. it is possible to run them in the office. for example. ICQ uses certain ports to access.. it's just an issue of getting the right port because in the webserver, the sys admin normally does not closs all the ports.

the downside is if you keep trying the server will log the attempts. so if someone checks, they'll know. but then again. no one really checks.. kinda like a catch 22 situation. ;)

better not reveal so much...

tittyhawk
18-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Thought its Linux? :confused:
With the query on messaging clients.. it is possible to run them in the office. for example. ICQ uses certain ports to access.. it's just an issue of getting the right port because in the webserver, the sys admin normally does not closs all the ports.

the downside is if you keep trying the server will log the attempts. so if someone checks, they'll know. but then again. no one really checks.. kinda like a catch 22 situation. ;)

oh yah... give another hint...
ip address.

Aiyo...dun reveal too much bro...keke....IT does wonders yeah?

maikieru
18-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Aiyo...dun reveal too much bro...keke....IT does wonders yeah?

On second thoughts i edit my post.. hee hee.. cannot tell so much.. later get ppl fired.. not good.. bad on karma.. heh heh heh..

you also edit ur post.

IT rocks.

Ethanas
18-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Thought its Linux? ...it's just an issue of getting the right port because in the webserver, the sys admin normally does not closs all the ports.

oh yah... give another hint...
ip address.

Well as the network engineer, plus security admin in my company, I can safely said that the first access rule in firewall is to deny all traffics and ports, then release the ports as needed by applications. If your company has a packet shaper like Packeteer lagi worst cos security can be done even to Application level, ie all ur chat programs can be blocked no matter what ports they try to use.

Generally blocking of all webpages traffic and accepting only approved website is a bit of an extreame, most common way is to just block those website that the admin finds offensive.

tittyhawk
18-02-2005, 11:51 PM
On second thoughts i edit my post.. hee hee.. cannot tell so much.. later get ppl fired.. not good.. bad on karma.. heh heh heh..

you also edit ur post.

IT rocks.

Yeah better be careful...if u know wat I mean....keke :D

Ethanas
18-02-2005, 11:53 PM
IT rocks.

Which is why we are in IT lines aye. We are GODs of a company's business continuity now. :D

tittyhawk
18-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Well as the network engineer, plus security admin in my .

Well, still is a very generalized comment, but then I cant argue with u much on wat to do and wat no coz there r a thousand solutions to a single IT problem. And to each of its own merits, different cases calls for different weapons..... :D

tanner132
18-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Yeah better be careful...if u know wat I mean....keke :D

Finally you appear liao. tot you MIA. keke

tittyhawk
18-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Which is why we are in IT lines aye. We are GODs of a company's business continuity now. :D

Well, often they dont realize that, but then I would like to think we are the foundation on which their business depends upon....but then again, its just a generalised comment.... :D

Ethanas
18-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Well, still is a very generalized comment, but then I cant argue with u much on wat to do and wat no coz there r a thousand solutions to a single IT problem. And to each of its own merits, different cases calls for different weapons..... :D

True there ;) let us not give bros here too much ideas lah. Remember knowingly breaking of company's security policies is one of the easiest way to get fired.

tittyhawk
18-02-2005, 11:56 PM

Lolzz....got lar where MIA one? yesterday also login wat...me sneak in and sneak out mah....like a hawk...silently watching....but no1 sees me....hehe :D

Ethanas
18-02-2005, 11:57 PM

Now that 3 of us here... how's tomorrow kopi session? onz bo?

tittyhawk
18-02-2005, 11:57 PM
True there ;) let us not give bros here too much ideas lah. Remember knowingly breaking of company's security policies is one of the easiest way to get fired.

tats y I keep emphasizing all our comments are very skeptical and generalized mah....dun wan any1 to get into trouble....hehe :D

tittyhawk
18-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Now that 3 of us here... how's tomorrow kopi session? onz bo?

On lar....y not....i shall be free for u...keke

Err....shall i rekindled my kopi/tcss/meetup thread in the outing/excursion ?

Ethanas
18-02-2005, 11:59 PM
On lar....y not....i shall be free for u...keke

Err....shall i rekindled my kopi/tcss/meetup thread in the outing/excursion ?

Rekindle lor :) hehe can still find it bo?

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Rekindle lor :) hehe can still find it bo?

Can lar....look out for it now....

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Well as the network engineer, plus security admin in my company, I can safely said that the first access rule in firewall is to deny all traffics and ports, then release the ports as needed by applications. If your company has a packet shaper like Packeteer lagi worst cos security can be done even to Application level, ie all ur chat programs can be blocked no matter what ports they try to use.

Generally blocking of all webpages traffic and accepting only approved website is a bit of an extreame, most common way is to just block those website that the admin finds offensive.

First thing first.. u wanna edit your post? hee hee.. the one that quotes my little tip of the day... heh heh..

I agree with you on the methodology. the issue is when you give users limited access, they start complaining.. sigh.. especially when the user is like the director or the svp... and how many times do we have to tell them NOT to download dubious mail through webmail accounts... they are the ones introducing the viruses into the network..

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:03 AM
First thing first.. u wanna edit your post? hee hee.. the one that quotes my little tip of the day... heh heh..

I agree with you on the methodology. the issue is when you give users limited access, they start complaining.. sigh.. especially when the user is like the director or the svp... and how many times do we have to tell them NOT to download dubious mail through webmail accounts... they are the ones introducing the viruses into the network..

Protection against viruses lies very much on the end users themselves. Even PCs equipped with updated virus engines cant really do much. The real challenge is on the backend servers and routers/hubs....again, very generalized comment here....

Ethanas
19-02-2005, 12:04 AM

sigh.. especially when the user is like the director or the svp... and how many times do we have to tell them NOT to download dubious mail through webmail accounts... they are the ones introducing the viruses into the network..

Aiikz cannot edit liao. :(

yeah big honchos are pretty dense right? I believe all security, system admin, analyst all face the same problems lah.

Recently we hit a batch of most annoying virus that shuts all the norton clients down + disable the regedit. :( traced to... some big shots email. geez.

tanner132
19-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Bro, I want to get a original virus protection software with almost all kinda of PC protection against viruses. Which type is the best. Now I am using Mcafee.

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Aiikz cannot edit liao. :(

yeah big honchos are pretty dense right? I believe all security, system admin, analyst all face the same problems lah.

Recently we hit a batch of most annoying virus that shuts all the norton clients down + disable the regedit. :( traced to... some big shots email. geez.

keke...usually tats the case...no much comment on tat...

Ethanas
19-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Bro, I want to get a original virus protection software with almost all kinda of PC protection against viruses. Which type is the best. Now I am using Mcafee.

Personally I find McAfee sufficient... infact better in some aspect than norton. :D

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Protection against viruses lies very much on the end users themselves. Even PCs equipped with updated virus engines cant really do much. The real challenge is on the backend servers and routers/hubs....again, very generalized comment here....

Thats true. Imagine I had to go around clean all the computers 1 by 1.. because of some freakin virus.. and there were about 100 computers...

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:09 AM

Personally I am using NAV 2005. There is not a definitive way of fighting against common pc viruses. But if you take steps to proactively update the signature files, you should be doing. Again, its a generalized solution as there are many brands of anti virus software in the market and they all achieve the purpose...( to some extend....keke)...

Disclaimer :- The above is just my opinion....a generalized comment... :D

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:09 AM

pretty is an understatement...
I know what you mean when you kenna that kinda virus. :mad:

tanner132
19-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Personally I find McAfee sufficient... infact better in some aspect than norton. :D

Yes. Agree.

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Thats true. Imagine I had to go around clean all the computers 1 by 1.. because of some freakin virus.. and there were about 100 computers...

Haha....yeah I used to do that when at that time, the company was not that advance yet to implement another box as webserver.....the good old days....

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:11 AM

sorry guys. I'm advocating TrendMicro for the protection.
and if you need information on cleaning viruses -> Symantec Norton.

Mcafee gave me loads of problems back then when i was adminstrator for my old company.. sheesh..

after i put in TrendMicro Enterprise.. everything was a-ok..

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Mine not the original kind. For PC virus protection. Friend told me best is to get original software.

Yes your friend was right. Spend a bit more just to prevent agony and lost time when your non original AV s/w fail u.....

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:12 AM
For PC virus protection. Friend told me best is to get original software.

Very true. Tanner please edit your post. Safety reasons.

tittyhawk, u too. :o

Ethanas
19-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Mine not the original kind. For PC virus protection. Friend told me best is to get original software.

I normally purchase essential software original. No point getting cheong ons and then later find that u cannot patch it or update it.

Think of software purchase this way, how essential is its to the operation of your PC. if its important enough (i.e. your OS, and security) then buy it original. If its not important or you only use it once then chuck it... then consider trial version. Current age is keeping your system lean and clean, not point installing too much stuffs that u rarely use on it.

P.S I'm in no way support of pirates :p

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Haha....yeah I used to do that when at that time, the company was not that advance yet to implement another box as webserver.....the good old days....

What happened was the guys from Trendmicro said to me. we can't install the antivirus solutions with the computers infected..

i was like...

Technology.

you either love it or hate it.

and the thing was all the computers had to disconnected fromt the LAN... but before all the computers were cleaned. i had some smart alecs connecting to the lan... :eek:

man was i pissed. :mad:

Ethanas
19-02-2005, 12:18 AM
after i put in TrendMicro Enterprise.. everything was a-ok..

Strangely my company phased trend out because of some updating problems. Then now on Norton AV enterprise. BUT its still a pain in the admin's backside. :( oh well at least my server admin has something to do time to time.

P.S ever try removing norton client after it is corrupted? ;) you will know what I mean.

maikieru

alot of tertiary institutes in sillypore use pirated software. esp for development work. :o

tittyhawk
I normally purchase essential software original. No point

Hmm....this is getting interesting....

Well, I think it all depends on what ppl buy and use PCs for.. Install only the apps you need most and also the necessary protection against viruses..again a generalized comment here....

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Strangely my company phased trend out because of some updating problems. Then now on Norton AV enterprise. BUT its still a pain in the admin's backside. :( oh well at least my server admin has something to do time to time.

P.S ever try removing norton client after it is corrupted? ;) you will know what I mean.

I heard about the updating issues.. but then again.. i agree that norton is a pain in the ass too... there are some viruses that are norton-trained. heh heh heh.. i hate it when they infect your computer and corrupt ur AV at the same time..

Ethanas
19-02-2005, 12:21 AM
.. i had some smart alecs connecting to the lan...

man was i pissed. :mad:

Exactly what I faced last year. A damnable virus broadcast back and forth between our domain server and pcs connecting to it.. and we have 2 idiots keep plugging their pc back to lan. So our poor helpdesk support runs back and forth to clear virus.

Reasons for plugging back? "I need to check my email wor" what email so important? we discovered... his gf's love letter. :eek:

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:21 AM
what's your take on NOT installing AV? do you think its possible that you won't have a virus attack? :cool:

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Reasons for plugging back? "I need to check my email wor" what email so important? we discovered... his gf's love letter. :eek:

*lol*

ha ha ha ha... if i own the company also.. heh heh.. i'll broadcast the mail out.. blame in on the virus. :D

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:24 AM
what's your take on NOT installing AV? do you think its possible that you won't have a virus attack? :cool:

Err...to some extend its possible to avoid minor virus attacks...if your PC is connected to a internet router....hehe....again a generalized comment here...

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:25 AM
*lol*

ha ha ha ha... if i own the company also.. heh heh.. i'll broadcast the mail out.. blame in on the virus. :D

Lolzzz....tats cute n a good one for the nite....

Ethanas
19-02-2005, 12:25 AM
*lol*

Nah I just send a notice out "We have to delay our clearing of the affected PC today. Because Mr XXX needs to recieve love letter from his girlfriend. Dept XXX will be offline till Mr XXX has finished his reply to his girlfriend. Sorry for the inconvinience"

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Err...guyz...we r talking about non sex related topics in ASD...better cut it or else....

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Lolzzz....tats cute n a good one for the nite....

hey, we're human too. i hate it when ppl say.. you're the IT guy. fix it quick. i need this.. i need that.. blah blah blah blah....

btw, my AV is the symantec online scanner.. heh heh.. i run it once a week. :o

been safe so far...

Ethanas
19-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Err...guyz...we r talking about non sex related topics in ASD...better cut it or else....

Yeah I declare this orphid closed. :cool:

tittyhawk
19-02-2005, 12:29 AM
hey, we're human too. i hate it when ppl say.. you're the IT guy. fix it quick. i need this.. i need that.. blah blah blah blah....

btw, my AV is the symantec online scanner.. heh heh.. i run it once a week. :o

been safe so far...

Haha....i have remarks like "you should know wat....".....

ok we better stop before kena zapped.....me out of this orphid...

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Nah I just send a notice out "We have to delay our clearing of the affected PC today. Because Mr XXX needs to recieve love letter from his girlfriend. Dept XXX will be offline till Mr XXX has finished his reply to his girlfriend. Sorry for the inconvinience"

thats a gd one too.. hee hee..
eh titty.. don't worry.. whatever will go wrong will go wrong anyway.. who's theory was that again?

nuclearkid
19-02-2005, 12:31 AM

Do you think a web-based version of MSN/Yahoo IMs can help?

http://www.e-messenger.net/

maikieru
19-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Haha....i have remarks like "you should know wat....".....

i'm a cheapo freak. :o
anyway i don't read wierd mail.

DavidCheng
20-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Hallo brothers out there. How to create an embedded image to your message.
ie, immediate after here, I want a picture of my handsome self for people to recognise me. I am using the builtin editor provided by this Forum.

Please do not ask me to use the URL link. Thank you.

asdfghjkl
20-02-2005, 01:18 AM
wow.. David.. meow..

Randi_Candi
20-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Do you think a web-based version of MSN/Yahoo IMs can help?

http://www.e-messenger.net/
Haha........I never tried, but using another s/w is also possible ;)

Randi_Candi
20-02-2005, 10:13 AM

If a website is banned, that means the network admin has block that particluar address from access. The internet address is determined by DNS and follow by subnet submasks (in its most simple and generalize definition)...If the administrators are hardcore guys, they would banned the entire sub-addresses. If they banned the DNS, you still able to access provided you know how to bypass your own network filtering scripts. The network scripts are a set of command lines, usually in UNIX or Lynix, which controls your workstation's access, both local and outward bound routes.

Gee.........tats alot for a network illiterate to comprehend
Brudda tt.......dun frighten me w techy terms such s DNS n subnet mask

But thanx for the info, I will try to sneak some out of my MIS ;)

orbit_beer
20-03-2005, 06:25 PM
anyone using the peer-to-peer program eXeem?i find it to be better than the previous 1 i using,Emule,much better.Any more feedbacks?thks. :)

Randi_Candi
20-03-2005, 07:13 PM
anyone using the peer-to-peer program eXeem?i find it to be better than the previous 1 i using,Emule,much better.Any more feedbacks?thks. :)
If u using emule u need 2 crack some of the stuff inside.
Frens told me the ports listed r common n some of the SPs track n reduce the d/l speed

Yeah, so far its a better prog somemore w the sites supporting it :D

asdfghjkl
20-03-2005, 08:57 PM
it may seems strange.. but i dun run any firewall, antivirus, antispyware at all.. n i am still fine.. using xp sp2 with firefox.. :rolleyes:

pico
20-03-2005, 09:28 PM
sp2 automatically upgrades the firewall that is inherent in winxp so you do have a firewall just that you notice it.

even though you are safe now best to still download a free virus scan and spyware cleaner to rid yourself of such nuisance

it may seems strange.. but i dun run any firewall, antivirus, antispyware at all.. n i am still fine.. using xp sp2 with firefox.. :rolleyes:

orbit_beer
20-03-2005, 10:17 PM

i guess maybe u are using firefox that's why.coz i think most trojans and spyware target i.explorer. :)