PDA

View Full Version : IDD Calls from Thailand

forumer
29-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi everybody,

Does anyone here know what's the most economical way to call other countries from Thailand? In Singapore, there are so many operators like Sunpage, Phoenix, Zone1511, Singtel, Starhub, M1 amongst others. So far in Thailand, I have found Catnet and GSM Advance.

Looking for quality and budget call operators, anyone got any ideas? Internet Telephone like Skype out of the question. Thanks in advance...

thaiboy
29-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by forumer
Hi everybody,

Does anyone here know what's the most economical way to call other countries from Thailand? In Singapore, there are so many operators like Sunpage, Phoenix, Zone1511, Singtel, Starhub, M1 amongst others. So far in Thailand, I have found Catnet and GSM Advance.

Looking for quality and budget call operators, anyone got any ideas? Internet Telephone like Skype out of the question. Thanks in advance...

go buy a phone card call "E card" at S$9/ 60 min all handphone in thailand.....loud and clear...worth every cents

forumer
29-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by 1111111
go buy a phone card call "E card" at S$9/ 60 min all handphone in thailand.....loud and clear...worth every cents

what are the rates like to various countries? Where can I check the rates? Any web site?

thaiboy
29-02-2004, 08:48 PM
what are the rates like to various countries? Where can I check the rates? Any web site?

i dun think have any website to check but this E card is the cheapest rate to thailand.

forumer
29-02-2004, 09:28 PM
i dun think have any website to check but this E card is the cheapest rate to thailand.

Oh, I think you have mistaken. I am talking about calling from thailand to other countries, not calling to thailand

Anyway, since you mentioned E-Card, where to get in Singapore?

Sinoview
01-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Oh, I think you have mistaken. I am talking about calling from thailand to other countries, not calling to thailand

Anyway, since you mentioned E-Card, where to get in Singapore?

Ya...you guys are on the wrong frequency.....

Ecard...oh that's a very good card to use especially for call to China.....one $10 card for 420 minutes call to HP.

But one catch.....a S$0.30 "connection charge" per call. Thus for long talk it's ok...but short talk quite costly.

It's available at most phone card shops. I can get it at S$8.80 per pcs...but min three cards per purchase. At a small phone card shop just beside Serangoon Plaza (the old Mustapha) along Serangoon road.

wayne]
01-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Sinoview

Ecard...oh that's a very good card to use especially for call to China.....one $10 card for 420 minutes call to HP.

But one catch.....a S$0.30 "connection charge" per call. Thus for long talk it's ok...but short talk quite costly.

It's available at most phone card shops. I can get it at S$8.80 per pcs...but min three cards per purchase. At a small phone card shop just beside Serangoon Plaza (the old Mustapha) along Serangoon road.

What's the best card to thailand hp?

thanks.

liketoplay
01-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by wayne]
What's the best card to thailand hp?

thanks.

After trying various cards , must say the best so far is Hello card.
$8 for 40 mins. However all instructions in Thai. The other cards reception not so good but this one very clear.

happy000
01-03-2004, 01:00 PM
You can try Osms card. They are using sms to get a callback from their server in Singapore.

You need to have a local slim card -- prepaid or postpaid (in this case Thailand). Once you registered by sending a sms message with the serial number of the calling card to Singapore, you can utilise their service immediately.

To utilise the service you need to send a blank sms with the number you are calling to the Singapore number. In less than 10 second you will be connected to the other party.

If you are interested there will be another operator in another 2 to 3 months where they will offer a similar service -- calling from any country to any country in the world without using the sms service.

At the moment most if not all of the calling cards offer you idd service from Singapore to the world.

thaiboy
01-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by liketoplay
$8 for 40 mins. However all instructions in Thai. The other cards reception not so good but this one very clear.

Bro try E card.......trust me save you alot.... $9 for 60 min ..loud and clear

Sinoview
01-03-2004, 03:03 PM

E card is good for calling Thailand from Spore but what about calling to S'pore or other countries from Thailand or BKK ??? Can you recommend one ???

By the way, if Hello card can provide call to Thailand - BKK at $8.00 per 40 minutes which is about that of E card, then I will think Hello card may be a better choice. As Hello reception is defintely better than E Card.

Many thanks......

liketoplay
01-03-2004, 04:40 PM

Yes , SC told me abt this b4 but where to get this E card ?

wayne]
01-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Yes , SC told me abt this b4 but where to get this E card ?

i can't find.. in the end, the girl said "GO" card.. kena conned.. 40min for $9. :(

subband
01-03-2004, 07:56 PM
just bought a e-card after searching high and low for it!!can be hard finding it.

60 mins call to thailand at the value of $9. I can say that the reception is very good. It is on par with M1 IDD 002.

Thks to 1111111 for the recommendation.;)

wayne]
01-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by subband
just bought a e-card after searching high and low for it!!can be hard finding it.

60 mins call to thailand at the value of $9. I can say that the reception is very good. It is on par with M1 IDD 002.

hey subband.. where u got it?

subband
01-03-2004, 08:40 PM
hey subband.. where u got it?

i got it at a kodak shop, at hougang. a lot of place didn't sell it.

wayne]
01-03-2004, 08:42 PM

very good. i stay in hougang too.. which kodak?.. we met before right? GM?

forumer
01-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Nice to learn a new quality alternative to Hello Card..... gotta try it out soon to make my calls to Bangkok.

Any other alternatives to call from thailand out to other countries besides the Osms method?

forumer
01-03-2004, 08:47 PM
Any block number in hougang?

forumer
01-03-2004, 08:49 PM

Is the connection charge for all calls irregardless of calling destination?

How do you make calls with it? Similar to Hello Card?

forumer
01-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Hello Card got other language options... :)

subband
01-03-2004, 08:54 PM
for those staying near hougang ..it's at ave 3, blk 106.

just for those that are unsure, the shop selling it does printing and photography services and it is next to the S11.

forumer
01-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by happy000
You can try Osms card. They are using sms to get a callback from their server in Singapore.

You need to have a local slim card -- prepaid or postpaid (in this case Thailand). Once you registered by sending a sms message with the serial number of the calling card to Singapore, you can utilise their service immediately.

To utilise the service you need to send a blank sms with the number you are calling to the Singapore number. In less than 10 second you will be connected to the other party.

If you are interested there will be another operator in another 2 to 3 months where they will offer a similar service -- calling from any country to any country in the world without using the sms service.

At the moment most if not all of the calling cards offer you idd service from Singapore to the world.

PMed u....

forumer
01-03-2004, 08:56 PM
for those staying near hougang ..it's at ave 3, blk 106.

just for those that are unsure, the shop selling it does printing and photography services and it is next to the S11. thanks for the directions... do you know which company produces the E-card(just curious)...

subband
01-03-2004, 08:58 PM
very good. i stay in hougang too.. which kodak?.. we met before right? GM?

yup, we meet before on the trip to gm, and i remember most vividly we sit for 2 hours on our journey to jb and the most foremost thing on my mind at that time is to find a toliet to pee.. nature call!!

subband
01-03-2004, 08:59 PM
thanks for the directions... do you know which company produces the E-card(just curious)...

hee..i not sure, it only written down here di yi xian international calling call.

forumer
01-03-2004, 09:02 PM
hee..i not sure, it only written down here di yi xian international calling call.

Ok, thanks anyway. Sounds like a Chinese Company... shall try it out myself.

wayne]
01-03-2004, 09:05 PM
yup, we meet before on the trip to gm, and i remember most vividly we sit for 2 hours on our journey to jb and the most foremost thing on my mind at that time is to find a toliet to pee.. nature call!!

Haha.. that was the longest trip ever to jb.
:p

thaiboy
02-03-2004, 09:12 AM

ha X3 good your found the card.....enjoy calling and chating to your love ones.....

Sinoview
02-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Is the connection charge for all calls irregardless of calling destination?

How do you make calls with it? Similar to Hello Card?

The charges for different destinations are of course different.

Calling method similar to Hello card. Instruction is written on the card.

I can even program it onto my hand phone or house phone thus don't have to dial the long series of long number......

For details, you can call :

The Customer Service number to call for Ecard :

those who want find out who are the dealers selling thsie cards can call them too.....

Please let me know the number to call for Osms ????

Cheers

forumer
02-03-2004, 12:14 PM

Please let me know the number to call for Osms ????

Cheers

I think you should check with Happy000 for Osms... he has not replied my PM yet. ;)

thaigers
31-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Anyone use the sawaddee card before?

Anyone knows where to get the E card besides the one at Hougang?? Called the telephone num given by bros here but the line just cut itself off.

Sinoview
31-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by thaigers

Anyone knows where to get the E card besides the one at Hougang?? Called the telephone num given by bros here but the line just cut itself off.

Ecard, I used get it from a small phone card shop next to Serangoon plaza.

I understand you can get it from some shops in Hougang mall too.

Try called that Ecard service number again if you need further help. It's operating ok......me just called them a moment ago to verify some rates.......

subband
31-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by thaigers

u can get e card also from the various money changers at pearl center, chinatown.

thaigers
31-03-2004, 07:52 PM
thanks bros.

I called the number just now but didnt get thru or they just pick up and hang up.

forumer
31-03-2004, 08:33 PM
i see the E Card on sale at most places where they sell telephone cards, not that hard to spot actually...

thaigers
31-03-2004, 09:40 PM
i see the E Card on sale at most places where they sell telephone cards, not that hard to spot actually...

bro forumer,

so can you tell bros here where we can get E card??
I found one shop in Toa Payoh Central . But its $10.
Samsters here say can buy for $9. Does anyone knows any other place that sell E card for $9??

Does anyone knows if Geylang got sell E card??

thaigers
01-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by yomun
I sense the Gongtao force is strong in you. Go to the dark side. Unleash your Thai Baht, buy a condo with her name on it and get her a brand new BMW. Muhahahahaha. :D

dont like that lah. she give me her num, must call and give face a bit mah. its not what you think lah. I sms her she also dunno how to read, so must call liao lor. :o

Vincent
04-04-2004, 03:29 PM
For frequent callers to LOS, I have today briefly called out to Bkk, land based line,66-2 and mobile, 66-1. Land based line is 15c a minute and the best of all, it is toll free(no charges on handphone). :p YES!!!
For freqent callers, u will know that the local phone charges by our service providers (M1, ST, SH) chalks up hundreds of moola a month. In fact it is 25c a minutes. Good businesss to Sintels. :confused:
Clarity for this osms system is surprisingly good.
For details:
http://www.onlinesrs.com/osms/dtac

jng1103
04-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi guys,
Not too sure if I can help all bros here. What I can offer is calling FROM Thailand to SG at USD$0.10/min. If this is expensive, pls pardon me. If the rate is reasonable n u wanna know more, kindly email me.

CALLING FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD TO SG/MY at USD$0.10/min.

cheerz,
jimbo ([email protected])

thaigers
16-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Does anyone knows if mobile phone num in thailand start with 17***** or 07*****????

Thanks.

Aanok
18-04-2004, 02:37 AM
Thai HP can start from 01, 06, 07, 09 depend on service provider

Aanok

lorraine
24-04-2004, 05:56 AM
E card is good for calling Thailand from Spore but what about calling to S'pore or other countries from Thailand or BKK ??? Can you recommend one ???

By the way, if Hello card can provide call to Thailand - BKK at $8.00 per 40 minutes which is about that of E card, then I will think Hello card may be a better choice. As Hello reception is defintely better than E Card.

Many thanks......

Bro Sinoview,

Hello card is the best bet. Don't waste your $ & time on other cards. I've been buying all kinds of card.

Cheers

thaigers
24-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Bro Sinoview,

Hello card is the best bet. Don't waste your $ & time on other cards. I've been buying all kinds of card.

Cheers

how good is the card?

Aanok
24-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Bros,

Disagreed, E card have the same quality as Hello card and cost S$9 for 60 min. Can easily get at people park from those money changer.

Aanok

forumer
25-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Bros,

Disagreed, E card have the same quality as Hello card and cost S$9 for 60 min. Can easily get at people park from those money changer.

Aanok

Imo, both got its advantages and disadvantages.

E Card rates changed to 55 min for S$9 value(actually S$10). And there is a connection fee, around 30 cents per successful calls. Not recommended for shorts calls...

Hello Card, around 1 hour 32 min for S$20(S$23 if inclusive of 15% extra value). More suitable for short calls.

Quality wise, I get better quality on E card more often than on Hello Card. During peak hours, Hello Card is not that great... hard to get through.

thaigers
25-04-2004, 01:55 AM
yes E card is $10 and when u first dial in it says 55min. Where can get $9 E card? People's park? I remember talked for about 1 min value becomes 9.33

forumer
26-04-2004, 12:07 AM
yes E card is $10 and when u first dial in it says 55min. Where can get $9 E card? People's park? I remember talked for about 1 min value becomes 9.33

i bought at ang mo kio central at the comic shop near the main s-11 coffeeshop, the lady told me $9...

the E card used to say 60 min instead of 55 min

cryptdudester
27-04-2004, 05:58 PM
i bought at ang mo kio central at the comic shop near the main s-11 coffeeshop, the lady told me $9...

the E card used to say 60 min instead of 55 min

just to check with u guys....is the rate the same if i call a mobile or fixed line?? :confused: thanks~

thaigers
27-04-2004, 11:45 PM
......E Card rates changed to 55 min for S$9 value(actually S$10). And there is a connection fee, around 30 cents per successful calls. Not recommended for shorts calls...

so, if you get thru, but the other party does not pick up the call, will there be a $0.30 deduction?

tirak69
28-04-2004, 12:04 AM
so, if you get thru, but the other party does not pick up the call, will there be a $0.30 deduction?
juz received my singtel bill... V019 charges $0.41 per minute when calling thai mobile. wat is advertised in papers apply to land lines only.

Aanok
28-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Can't recalled clearly but should be close;

Mobile: should be 60 min using E cards (01, 06, 07, 09)
Fixed: should be 80 min or more using E cards (02)

I get my E card at Serangoon at S$9

PS if lazy to find E card, I think Zone1511 provide lower charge compare to other but remember to select the service provider offer by Zone1511. The advantage is user can use internet to view the charges in process when talking to other party so that you can control your own bills.

Aanok

lorraine
28-04-2004, 12:45 AM
how good is the card?

Voice quality is definitely better, $8 for 40mins ;)

thaigers
28-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Voice quality is definitely better, $8 for 40mins ;)

Using the E card, i got very good sound quality when i called my friend in bkk at night. during the daytime, the quality might differ a bit....
So $10 for 60 or 55min still better than hello card in my opinion.

Smartguy
28-04-2004, 09:16 PM
So far in the market, there are many phonecards for IDD calls. I am wondering if there are any cheaper alternative to global SMS. I sms my PRC gal a lot and each global sms is 15 cents and it adds up to a huge bill every mth.

thaigers
29-04-2004, 12:14 AM
E Card available at $9 at a small shop beside Lor 8 coffeeshop. THey also sell many other cards like sawaddee card (which my regular used to use to call thailand). Anyone use sawaddee card before? issit good?

Sinoview
30-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Using the E card, i got very good sound quality when i called my friend in bkk at night. during the daytime, the quality might differ a bit....
So $10 for 60 or 55min still better than hello card in my opinion.

Don't forget, there is a S$0.30 connection charge on Ecard.

So for Ecard, talking to yr tirak is good but necessary so if you are making short call to check some information.....

thaigers
30-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Don't forget, there is a S$0.30 connection charge on Ecard.

So for Ecard, talking to yr tirak is good but necessary so if you are making short call to check some information.....

Yes. if call for 4 to 5 min, the cost per min plus connection charge is about 27cents per min

thaigers
05-05-2004, 01:36 AM
Anyone knows which card is good for making short calls with no connection charge. Just found out when using E card that if the other party did not on their phone, connection charges still apply :eek: :( That means 30 to 40 cents gone if they dont on their handphone.

Sinoview
05-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Anyone knows which card is good for making short calls with no connection charge. Just found out when using E card that if the other party did not on their phone, connection charges still apply :eek: :( That means 30 to 40 cents gone if they dont on their handphone.

Is that right ??? What country you called ? I don't remember they deduct any money when there is "no connection" due to whatever reasons when I used E card to call China leh.... very strange......

Maybe you can try Hello card. It dosen''t have any connection fee. But much shorter talking time.

Cheerios

forumer
07-05-2004, 06:53 AM

was your call diverted to a Voice Mail service? Or Call Back service? if yes, considered a successful call.

thaigers
07-05-2004, 01:21 PM
was your call diverted to a Voice Mail service? Or Call Back service? if yes, considered a successful call.

That's right. DOes M1 021 has connection charges? Now I use 021 to make sure her mobile is on before i use my E card to call. otherwise kena same thig again.

Vincent
02-06-2004, 04:40 PM
That's right. DOes M1 021 has connection charges? Now I use 021 to make sure her mobile is on before i use my E card to call. otherwise kena same thig again.

Bro,

U can use Link card, its connection charge is 10c. Try gettin your tirak a pct handphone or a land based line. Savings is significant. If u are using most of the cards, charges for 66-2####### is $8 for 110 minutes.

:)

forumer
02-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Bro,

U can use Link card, its connection charge is 10c. Try gettin your tirak a pct handphone or a land based line. Savings is significant. If u are using most of the cards, charges for 66-2####### is $8 for 110 minutes.

how's the quality of Link Card? what colour one?

Also, where can get pct and only in bkk? or around thailand?

forumer
03-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Just used E card to call Thai Mobile... was surprised to hear that my S$10 card(paid S$9 though) can be used for 66 min. Used to be 60 min, then changed to 55 min...

That means the rate is about 0.13 roughly... cheapest I know so far. :D But bad thing is got connection charge, 30 cents per call. :(

Vincent
05-06-2004, 10:52 AM
how's the quality of Link Card? what colour one?

Also, where can get pct and only in bkk? or around thailand?

Link card is good and as good as singtel callcard.

In Bkk, u can get from any pct retailers. They are having some kind of promotion where pct user can call another pct user foc.

If u are in ratchadaphisek, get from Fortune centre :)

cryptdudester
07-06-2004, 04:52 AM
Bro,

sup bro,

jus wondering wat is the meaning of PCT...dun know dat term @ all..~ thanks
so...in this case the the Link Card for 110 mins n Ecard for 80mins if calling fixed line~.....30 mins more....sounds like a steal to me....any comments from bros who used 2 of these cards..~ :)

forumer
07-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Link card is good and as good as singtel callcard.

In Bkk, u can get from any pct retailers. They are having some kind of promotion where pct user can call another pct user foc.

If u are in ratchadaphisek, get from Fortune centre :)

Link Card costs how much? Rate to mobile line?

PCT phone limited to bkk only? How about other province?

cyrus
23-06-2004, 12:00 AM
I know that I'm side tracking here .. but anyone here knows exactly how to get internet connection with own notebook ... using mobile phone (either thai or SingTel) or fixed line? ...

jng1103
23-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Guys,
I can offer USD0.10/min calling from Thai to Singapore or vice versa. Not too sure if the rate is attractive to our brothers here.

For more info, check out www.regetech.com. If u need more info, email me at [email protected]

Regards,
jimbo

Sinoview
23-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Nowaday, most of the Hotels and service apartments in thailand particular the newer ones do provide BroadBand internet connection for a fixed rate per day with unlimited connection.

Though the rate per day is fixed, I did managed to negotiate for a less on the no. of day charged.

Last week, I stayed in service apt in Lang Suan called Natural Ville for four nights. I managed to talk to the duty manager to charge me for two days of usage. My reason, I do not used very often as I'm out most of the time.... Hee...hee......At B150 x 2 = B300 (S$12.80) for 5 days and 4 nights of unlimted usage..I think it's quite reasonable.

The last time I stayed in Merchant Court, it was B200 per day. Again I stayed for 4 nights but paid only for 2 days of usage.

Just talk to the reception, they will send a technician with a connection cable. They will then turn on the connection and you will be on-line....

For dial up service, again you too need to talk to the hotel reception and they will give you a pass-word for the dial up plus most importanly let you know the charges on per minutes basis....

Alternative, you can talk to yr local internet provider like Singnet or Pacific net to subscribe to their roaming service. They will provide details of their partners in the respective countries. But then again, you still got to find out the charges of telephone line usage from the respective hotel.

Hope the above information can help you.

toothbrush
07-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Haha...I will sign up starhub liao , use that line to call my Teerak in mueng thai :D

Sawaddee krup

if only they started this earlier... already spend quite alot on IDD call
anyway must really thank starhub for it :D

free
07-08-2004, 09:39 PM
I know that I'm side tracking here .. but anyone here knows exactly how to get internet connection with own notebook ... using mobile phone (either thai or SingTel) or fixed line? ...
I went Secaon Square and purchase an "X-treme 1222" dialup package from Pacific Internet (Thailand). Unlimited access for 5 days at 99 baht. Dun have tiime to shop around much I think it is good value for the bucks since I normally go for abut 4-5 days each time anyway. Far cheaper than using iPass or GRIC.

free
07-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Free IDD 018 calls to Thailand. Thanks to bro Free for the info. on another thread.

http://www.starhub.com/mobile/promotionsandevents/free_idd018.html
Another good deal, this time from Thailand calling to SG if your tirak needs to call u. 7 baht/minute (29 cents) for your tirak to call Singapore using DTAC Happy Dprompt eFONE (till 31 Dec). Instead of dialing +65.... or 00165...., ask her to dial 00965....

Happy Dprompt eFONE (http://www.happydprompt.com/update/140704/efone_009_e.html)

tirak99
08-08-2004, 04:05 AM
Bro free, this kinda of lobang u also know... 009. sound a bit like our 018. maybe next time, DTAC also come out with this plan. free calling 2 sillypore. kekeke. :D

Another good deal, this time from Thailand calling to SG if your tirak needs to call u. 7 baht/minute (29 cents) for your tirak to call Singapore using DTAC Happy Dprompt eFONE (till 31 Dec). Instead of dialing +65.... or 00165...., ask her to dial 00965....

toothbrush
08-08-2004, 04:35 PM

Happy Dprompt eFONE (http://www.happydprompt.com/update/140704/efone_009_e.html)

If only this happen a year ago... time is not right not me
:(

free
18-08-2004, 05:27 AM
Bro free, this kinda of lobang u also know... 009. sound a bit like our 018. maybe next time, DTAC also come out with this plan. free calling 2 sillypore. kekeke. :D
When u got a tirak who has a limited budget and still want to talk to you (not call then put down immediately), u will know lah :D

I tend to let her talk for about a minute before I call her back. Just dun like the idea of her calling and then hanging up immediately cos I am not hanging around just waiting for her call. Reinforcing this, now that we get a second chance. Kind of rude, I think if she does that again. It also helps that she got to consider who to call with her limited budget. At least I know I am worth more than her calling acquaintances to yaketty yak. Maybe it's just cheap thrill for me. Oh, well.

free
18-08-2004, 05:29 AM
I went Secaon Square and purchase an "X-treme 1222" dialup package from Pacific Internet (Thailand). Unlimited access for 5 days at 99 baht. Dun have tiime to shop around much I think it is good value for the bucks since I normally go for abut 4-5 days each time anyway. Far cheaper than using iPass or GRIC.
Correction - It's a 7-day pass. I used it for 5 days the last time, so I got mixed up. Bought it again at Seri Center this time. Hmm... wonder if I can purchase this in the North?

cyrus
27-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Correction - It's a 7-day pass. I used it for 5 days the last time, so I got mixed up. Bought it again at Seri Center this time. Hmm... wonder if I can purchase this in the North?

But you would need a fixed tel. line, right? I'm always heading up north .. and no fixed line there leh ...

free
27-08-2004, 08:48 PM
But you would need a fixed tel. line, right? I'm always heading up north .. and no fixed line there leh ...
Then u need to do what a friend of mine did. USe GPRS with M1 and AIS an a mobile phone. Even up north in Chiang Rai, I typically can convinced Internet cafe owners to let me plug in my notebook in to their network. Sometimes got to teach them what to do, but it usually works out OK,

MrDevil
06-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Then u need to do what a friend of mine did. USe GPRS with M1 and AIS an a mobile phone. Even up north in Chiang Rai, I typically can convinced Internet cafe owners to let me plug in my notebook in to their network. Sometimes got to teach them what to do, but it usually works out OK,

Connecting via GRPS via roaming could be pretty costly affair. Some time back, the service was free. Getting a local pre-paid card should be cheaper. Currently, Orange is chargin 0.12 baht for every 1kpbs, not cheap especially for heaby download. Their technical guys and customer service speak pretty good English and could guide you clearly on the setup and connection, even on the setting of your laptop. Ave speed around 30~35kbps.

forumer
03-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Now M1 and starhub prepaid card also gives "free" idd calls to thailand. is it worth it / cheaper? .

Wah, such an old thread...

ok, after my own personal "research", i have come to conclusion for now.

1) If you are calling to a Thailand Mobile Line, I would recommend Starhub mobile postpaid SIM card. Get the plans with the estimated amount of talktime u would need, but take note there are 2 Powervalue plans which DO NOT come bundled with free IDD calls.

As for quality of calls, pretty good. Except that... during weekends, or public holidays, etc. You may need to call more than once to get the connection.

2) If the destination is to a Thailand Fixed Line, can consider other options like the Zone 1511 (www.zone1511.com.sg), or Sunpage (www.sunpage.com.sg). Rates are pretty competitive (from 5 cents to 15 cents) but don't forget you need to add in the outgoing local call charges for your handphone or land line too.

Cheers

vmtech
03-09-2005, 02:42 PM
hi bros, just checkin does all prepaid/postpaid thai sim cards able to call/sms to SG FROM bkk ?

there's this TG tt was trying to sms me but she said cant get send thru.
apparently she clicked reply after she got my msg, so my number with the +65 is there .

any 1 knows why ? or how to rectify ?

forumer
03-09-2005, 02:44 PM
do you know the minimum contract period for a post paid sim card?

The prepaid cards are not as worth it compared to the post paid ones (Pre paid cards do not come with free bundled airtime) Further more, the call charges are more ex. 25 cents/min compared to 15 cents/min for postpaid.

Contract wise, if you get a handset then the standard 2 years rule apply. If just the SIM card alone, then 3 months.

http://www.starhub.com/termsandconditions/infocom_serterms_ms.html

There is another $36.75 registration/SIM card charge but that is normally waived if you get it from the roadshows, or promotion period.

forumer
03-09-2005, 02:46 PM
hi bros, just checkin does all prepaid/postpaid thai sim cards able to call/sms to SG FROM bkk ?

apparently she clicked reply after she got my msg, so my number with the +65 is there .

Theorectically, shouldn't be a problem.

Does her hp have "CALL BARRING" activated?

Get her to call her mobile service provider to check. Probably some settings of some sort.

suteerak1O99
03-09-2005, 03:31 PM

it depends on the promotion package. some prepaid SIM cards are unable to make IDD calls. but that can be easily changed.

ask her don't reply directly to the received sms. write a new message and send to the +65 no.

ThaiPolice
03-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Anyone knows which is the most economical (by telephone) to keep in touch with someone in thailand (calling from singapore)?

the best option is to buy a calling card eg.platinum global calling card cost only $8 and if you're talking to a hp it will grant u a talking time of 138mins and for hse line will be 159mins. more better and cheaper than using the free idd service from starhub or m1.

ThaiPolice
03-09-2005, 03:52 PM

all thai sim cards are able to call to SG. if she's using prepaid card then there will be no problem. but if she's using post paid, then have to notify the respective mobile company to activate the idd service as most of post paid plan do not have idd service automatically activated.

if she wants to save $ just ask her to dial 009 65 xxxx xxxx it will cost only 6baht per min. by dialling +65 will be using the premium service like our 001.

ThaiPolice
03-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks thai mata.
you know where i can get this platinum global calling card? Is it readily available?

geylang have the most shops selling phonecards. it's in gray colour.

forumer
04-09-2005, 12:24 AM
if she wants to save $ just ask her to dial 009 65 xxxx xxxx it will cost only 6baht per min. by dialling +65 will be using the premium service like our 001.

6 baht/min is the 008 service...
http://www.tot.co.th/tot/en/

Calling cards are an option, however the voice quality (to me) not quite there yet. Using during peak periods = low quality